April 29, 2011

FROM FLAT MATERIAL TO VOLUME : FOLDED PAPER

For this assignment, I decided to fold a phone book into a cylinder shape, to mock the shape of the Earth. Hours, over at least 15, I spent folding each individual thinly cut piece of paper into a circular shape. During this time of folding the phonebook, I wanted to truly create the Earth. The solution to this would be to dye water, pour it over the book, and place it in the sun for the ray to dry it up, and hopefully expand the phone book to create more volume. Also, since the water would of been blue, the phone book would turn mostly green from the yellow tabs on the end of each page and in return it would seem as if it was opposite earth. (mostly land instead of water). The water would tear some of the pages and maybe create textures that look and feel like mountains. This would create the different levels of the Earth. All of this theory was kept in mind along with the possibility that the hard would wouldn't pay off and reality would set in. Reality in the sense that my idea (ideology) of the earth wouldn't form and it would actually be destructed. This is what happened. I was happy with this outcome. It proved that idea and concept, outweighed technique to prove a point, especially because without a doubt I wanted to try this experiment. I was playing with the Earth, almost in a way I feel God would of, by experimentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment